Shannon Lee | Improvement Center Columnist | December 14, 2011
A stroll through the paint aisles at your local hardware store can leave your head spinning. There are so many paint brands, each with their own wide variety of types. Deciding on a color is tough, but sometimes choosing between paint brands can be even tougher.
The best interior paint brands
Over time, the best of the best rises to the top. That is the case with the following paint brands, most of which are excellent for your interior painting needs.
- Benjamin Moore. One of the best known paint brands, Benjamin Moore has had hundreds of years to perfect their formulas. The paints are offered in a wide range of types and prices, and many of them come with warranties that promise longevity and durability.
- Valspar. Founded as a varnish dealer over 200 years ago, Valspar has longevity that rivals that of Benjamin Moore. The top-selling types are sold exclusively at Lowe's, which helps ensure a good price range for tight budgets. Valspar has a booming market in specialized paints, such as color-changing hues.
- Ralph Lauren. Though a bit on the pricey side, Ralph Lauren has the weight of a major fashion house behind it, so color and impact are taken very seriously. A very wide palette of designer colors in acrylic latex comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Sherwin-Williams. The largest producer of paints in the United States, Sherwin-Williams is also a one-stop shop. Sherwin-Williams stores offer everything from speciality colors to wallpaper, as well as all the tools needed to do the job.
The best exterior paint brands
When painting the exterior of your house, keep in mind that local laws might not allow you to use any color you like. When you do choose the perfect color, here are a few of the best brands to keep it looking beautiful:
- Benjamin Moore. The paint of choice for house painters and contractors, Benjamin Moore offers extensive warranties and plenty of options for types of paint.
- Sherwin-Williams. This company offers several types of paint that are guaranteed for as long as you own your home. However, they are also among the most expensive.
- Olympic. Fairly inexpensive, Olympic brands are carried by Lowe's stores. However, Olympic doesn't offer as much longevity as Benjamin Moore or Sherwin-Williams.
- Kilz. Very durable and surprisingly cheap, Kilz lasts for a very long time. However, it doesn't last as long as premium paints from the other brands, so you might find yourself painting the house more often.
Choosing the best paint for your home can be a daunting task. If you want professional help, get an estimate from a local painting contractor by using the convenient form on this page.