European kitchens are in demand from homeowners and designers looking for distinctive style and a quality finish. Chic and innovative in design, European kitchens are characteristically light and airy, making the most of the space available and avoiding unnecessary ornamentation to achieve a sleek, modern look.
What to expect from a European kitchen
Some key features of European kitchens include the following:
- Contemporary style, often "industrial" in appearance
- Minimalist and functional design features
- Space-saving features, such as sliding countertops, rotating corner cabinets and multi-faceted drawers
- Manmade materials, such as frosted glass, metal and concrete
- Combinations of traditional and modern materials
- Lighting used to increase the sense of space and functionality of work areas
- Simple architectural flourishes, such as arching faucets or asymmetrical cabinet handles
- A mix of free-standing and built-in units
- Bold colors - whether vibrant or dark - offset against materials, such as glass and steel
- Smooth, streamlined finish with appliances hidden, and countertops kept clear
- High-end appliances
With many designs and manufacturers to choose from, your European kitchen design can be whatever you want it to be.
How much do European Kitchens Cost?
For 2010 - 2011, Remodeling Magazine reported that the average cost of an upscale kitchen remodel project was $113,464. On the other hand, the average cost of home improvement projects fell for 2010-2011, when compared to the previous year. The savings currently found in the home improvement market reflect a reduction in construction costs and competitive pricing by manufacturers. While intricately designed cabinetry, ultra-modern appliances and imported goods factor into the high-end price point of a European kitchen, now is a good time to find a great deal, if you're ready to remodel.
Before you hire a contractor, get several price estimates. You may also want to visit both "Big Box" retailers and boutiques that specialize in kitchens and bathrooms. Take the first step toward getting your new European kitchen, today: simply fill out the form on this page to find contractors who can help bring your kitchen design ideas to life.