Kay Easton | Improvement Center Columnist | December 14, 2011
The siding industry in the United States has "outpaced construction material and supply shipments over the past decade," according to a Catalina Research report on siding. The 2010-11 "Cost vs. Value Survey" from Remodeling Magazine also reports that you can recoup more than 75 percent of the cost of fiber-cement, vinyl and foam-backed siding replacement projects. Siding is not only a good investment for your home, it's clearly big business.
Vinyl is currently the top siding material in the industry; but fiber cement, aluminum and steel siding, wood shakes and shingles also have their shares of the market.
Top siding brands
A relatively new contender in the siding business is Tecton Products out of Fargo, North Dakota. Working with the Marvin Companies, which sell windows and doors, Tecton offers Ultrex fiberglass siding.
Top vinyl siding brands include the following mainstays:
- Owens Corning
CertainTeed and James Hardie are popular dealers of fiber cement siding. CertainTeed also offers vinyl siding through Wolverine Siding Systems. Alcoa/Mastic Home Exteriors is a top name in vinyl and aluminum siding, while Revere offers vinyl, aluminum and steel siding.
Price comparisons for new siding
CalFinder Nationwide Remodelers offers the following industry average cost-per-square-foot for different types of siding:
- Aluminum: $2.50 to $3.50.
- Vinyl: $2 to $7, installed; DIY may cost less.
- Fiber cement: $4.50 to $11
- Wood: $1.75 to $7.40 for hardwood, red cedar clapboard, wood shingles and shakes.
Price is not the only factor to consider, when deciding on a new siding option. Other factors include durability, appearance and maintenance. For example, siding that costs more now can actually save you money over time due to reduced maintenance.
A look at two top siding brands
These siding companies have each been around for more than 100 years:
- CertainTeed/Wolverine. CedarImpressions shakes, Fiber Cement Weatherboards, and CedarBoards insulated siding are this brand's top products. Ready-to-paint, prefinished and stain-finished options are available. Products range from $5.49 to $7.37 per square foot.
- James Hardie. A leader in fiber cement siding, the HardieZone System provides "specific performance attributes relative to the climate where your home is being built," according to their website. They offer HardiePlank Lap Siding, HardieShingle Siding, HardiePanel Vertical Siding and Artisan Exterior Design siding, which is currently available only in certain geographical areas. James Hardie fiber cement siding costs around $10 per square foot.
Now may be time to look at improving the curb appeal of your home with a new siding replacement project. To compare siding costs and get installation estimates for your area, fill out the form on this page.