Gina Pogol | Improvement Center Columnist | December 14, 2011
Kitchen remodeling projects happen at every level, from the basic economy job to the if-I-were-a-movie-star-this-would-be-my-kitchen. Your choice of brands can match your style and needs, but what you purchase comes down to what you have to spend. These popular kitchen brands of countertops, cabinets, flooring and appliances should give you a good idea of which ones fall into your price range.
The budget kitchen
Budget doesn't have to mean boring, and these manufacturers are adept at helping you max out your money when you remodel your kitchen.
- Countertops: Laminates are classics for good reason. They are inexpensive and come in a huge variety of colors, so you can easily and cheaply change the look of your kitchen. Top countertop brands include Formica, Wilsonart, VT Industries, Arborite, and ABET, Inc.
- Cabinetry: Basic cabinets are also referred to as stock or pre-manufactured cabinetry. Top cabinet brands include Lowes Kitchen Classics, Home Depot's Distinction Cabinets, Kraft Maid, and Decora.
- Flooring: Vinyl kitchen flooring has withstood the test of time because it is both highly economical and functional. Top brands include Armstrong, DuPont, and Tarkett.
- Appliances: Top appliance brands for basic appliances include Haier, Whirlpool, LG, Panasonic, and Kenmore. Many manufacturers sell appliances at all price points.
The mid-range kitchen
Mid-range is what most folks have, and there are plenty of kitchen manufacturers ready to help you combine good looks with good prices.
- Countertops: Mid-range kitchens feature countertops made of granite tile, which can be combined with ceramic tile for a truly custom look. Other mid-range counters include solid surface, butcher block, and composites made from recycled materials like glass, cement, and plastic. Top brands include Corian, EcoTop, EnviroGlas, and IceStone.
- Cabinetry: Mid-range cabinetry is often called semi-custom and allow some ability to pick and choose various details to tailor an otherwise pre-built stock cabinet. Top brands include Medallion, Merillat, and Showplace.
- Flooring: Mid-range flooring includes several green options like cork and bamboo, wood, or Marmoleum from top flooring brands like Forbo, Qu-Cork, Mohawk, and Johnson.
- Appliances: Top mid-range appliance brands offering solid performance include GE Profile, Bosch, Maytag, Fisher, and Kitchen-Aid.
The high-end kitchen
When the sky's the limit, you can find plenty of fantastic flooring, amazing appliances, and cool cabinetry from top manufacturers.
- Countertops: High-end materials include granite, concrete, stainless, marble, and engineered stone from companies like Silestone, Cambria Quartz, and True Manufacturing.
- Cabinetry: High-end cabinetry is often custom-built and / or comes from companies like Wood-Mode, UltraCraft, Cardell, and Omega.
- Flooring: Top-drawer kitchen flooring choices include hardwood, porcelain, travertine, onyx, marble, and limestone from companies like Porcelanosa, Voguebay Mosaics, and Imola.
- Applicances: Highest-end appliances feature all the bells and whistles and come from companies like GE Monogram, Viking, Thermodor, Miele, and Dacor.
With top brands at every price point, you should have little trouble finding the products to create a satisfying kitchen remodel.