How To Clean Your Home
Gina Pogol | Improvement Center Columnist | December 13, 2011
With a simple plan and less than 20 minutes a day, you can have a home that always looks nice and invites you to relax.
The daily dozen: keeping your home clean
When you attend to these 12 things every day, they become second-nature, and your home always looks clean.
- Wash dishes or load the dishwasher after every meal. Run the garbage disposal.
- In the kitchen, wipe down the sink after doing dishes. Wipe your stove and counters.
- Sweep, mop or vacuum the kitchen floor.
- In the bathroom, wipe the basins after each use. Squeegee the shower or wipe the tub.
- Once a day, brush out the toilet, mist the shower with cleaner and shine the mirrors. Wipe down the counters.
- In your bedroom, make your bed, pick up clothes and straighten nightstands.
- Fluff your living room couches and fold throw blankets.
- Dust living room furniture and vacuum lightly.
- Put away CDs, remotes, straighten books and magazines.
- Throw away old newspapers and junk mail.
- Take out the trash.
- Shake out welcome mats and entry rugs.
Of course, this regimen keeps your home looking nice, but it's no substitute for deep cleaning. You can't run from the need to scrub, mop, wax and clean windows. Many who don't enjoy cleaning, or don't have the time for it, avail themselves of a professional cleaning service to take care of the heavy housework.
Find a cleaning service
Hiring a professional house cleaning service is the easiest way to get your home deep cleaned. Here's why:
- House cleaners are employees of the company you hire, so the company takes care of all the government paperwork and taxes.
- Most provide custom cleaning instructions for each home and they make sure to understand exactly what you want done.
- Most bring their own cleaning supplies and equipment.
- They can try to accommodate schedule changes for special occasions.
When looking for a cleaning service, make sure of the following:
- Employees have worker's compensation coverage.
- Service is licensed, bonded and insured.
- You are compensated if damage occurs to your home.
- The company performs background checks on its employees.
- The company has been in business in your area for a few years.
A quick once-over each day keeps your home looking good. Use a professional cleaning service to keep your home deep cleaned, year-round.