4 products you shouldn't keep in your home
Living a long, healthy life means staying active, making healthy choices, and getting a good night's sleep. We try to avoid toxins in our lives and keep our children away from hazardous materials. But your home might be full of harmful products you don't even know about.
Local governments are doing their best to try and eliminate the sale of products which may contain hazardous materials and chemicals, but that doesn't keep you safe from products already in your home. Countries like Canada have even passed laws in regards to hazardous products which eliminate the usage of certain chemicals in the manufacturing of a variety of goods such as jewelry and toys.
Are any of these materials currently in your home?
Flooring with formaldehyde
Formaldehyde is the chemical used in science labs to preserve flesh and organs - and it may be in your floors.
You can run a test to find out if the wood in your floors contains it. The potent chemical can release into the air and cause several illnesses such as cancer.
To test your wood floors for formaldehyde, the exterior layers, such as the veneer, must be removed. This can be expensive but it's worth it for your health. If your floors do test positive for excessive formaldehyde they will need to be replaced.
Thermometers with mercury
Mercury is extremely dangerous. If you have products like thermometers that contain mercury, The Environmental Protection Agency suggests you handle them with care, take precautions when cleaning up spillage, and recycle them responsibly.
Some basic tips: never clean up a mercury spill with a vacuum and don't pour it down a drain. If your clothing comes in contact with mercury dispose of the clothes immediately as contamination can spread. When looking for a new thermometer, go digital; it's a lot safer.
Regular household items such as antifreeze, ammonia, and fertilizers have their purpose around your home, but it's not safe to leave them laying around when you're done. Transport these hazardous materials to a location in your city, such as a firehouse, where they will dispose of the products safely and in an environmentally friendly way.
Pesticides - but not all of them
There's a reason states and governments are outlawing the use of pesticides in homes - they're extremely hazardous to your health. Not all pesticides are dangerous, though, which is why it's important to read warning labels.
Pesticides have historically been used for gardening and other outdoor activities, but is your good health really worth the cost of a beautiful lawn? Next time you're shopping for a bug killer or lawn spray try an eco-friendly version; going green is good for the environment and for your health.
With these products out of your home, you'll be one step closer to leading a healthy life.