Save the planet and $50 a month on utility bills
Karl Fendelander | Improvement Center Columnist | December 19, 2012
You don't have to live like a monk to cut your utility bills. A few small changes and some vigilance can save you at least $50 a month. Just mouse over the illustrations below for recommendations on how to save energy, along with estimates on the monthly cost savings associated with each action.
Three Easy Ways to Save $50 a Month
An extra fifty bucks every month is nothing to turn your nose up at. Instead of letting that money go down the drain, fly out the window or burn up in your furnace, you could put it to good, eco-friendly use without dramatically changing the way you live.
For more information on saving energy, see our in-depth article: 5 tips for slashing utility bills
- • Michael Bluejay • How much electricity costs, and how they charge you • http://michaelbluejay.com • http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html • Mr. Electricity
- • CUB Energy Saver • https://www.cubenergysaver.com/
- • Brian Clark Howard • Turn Off Your Computer When Not in Use • http://www.thedailygreen.com/going-green/tips/energy-efficiency-turn-computer-off
- • STANDBY POWER SUMMARY TABLE • http://standby.lbl.gov/summary-table.html • Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- • Michael Bluejay • How much electricity do household items use? • http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html
- • Refrigerator Retirement Savings Calculator • http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=refrig.calculator • ENERGY STAR
- • Michael Bluejay • How much does it cost to run a washing machine? • http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/laundry.html
- • Comparison Chart LED Lights vs. Incandescent Light Bulbs vs. CFLs • http://www.designrecycleinc.com/ • Design Recycle Inc.
- • Michael Bluejay • Saving Electricity • http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/
- • Top 11 Things You Didn't Know About Saving Energy at Home: Summer Edition • Jun 08, 2012 • http://energy.gov/articles/top-11-things-you-didnt-know-about-saving-energy-home-summer-edition • U.S. Dept. of Energy
- • WATER HEATERS • http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/appliances/waterheaters.html • California Energy Commission
- • Save Energy at Home • http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_save_energy_at_home • ENERGY STAR
- • WATER ON TAP what you need to know • Dec 01, 2009 • http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw/wot/pdfs/book_waterontap_full.pdf • EPA
- • Energy Saving Tips • http://www.fypower.org/res/tools/energy_tips.html • Flex Your Power